Funeral Home

KCH > Ghost Stories > Funeral Home

I live and work in a mortuary in San Antonio, Texas. I have been interested in the funeral business since I was 12 years old. I have always had an “eerie” aura about me. If you would meet me, you would understand why. I was recently given the opportunity to become a resident of the Mortuary I now work for and being the weird kinda guy I am, I could not pass a chance such as this.

I moved in on a Thursday afternoon. With my girlfriend’s help, I had everything moved in by the time night came. The funeral home was opened that night until 10:00 p.m. I figured I would go ahead and stay the night in my apartment there. My girlfriend always stays with me until about 2:00 or 3:00 a.m. That particular night, my bathroom was out of order so I was using the bathroom in the family room. My girlfriend was in the bathroom by the employee lounge on the opposite side of the building.

On my way back to the apartment, I heard her scream. I ran to the other side of the building to see what was the matter and she said she heard someone whisper her name. I told her it was OK and we headed back to the apartment. I was spooked, as was she, so we both went to her house to stay the night. What a welcome to my new home, Right?

Read Another Stories:

I returned the next night with the previous night’s occurrence in the back of my mind. I stayed in the apartment, watching TV until about 2:30 (a.m.) when I went outside to smoke a cigar. In order to get outside, you must go through the hallway, then through the garage. My car was parked right outside the door to the garage. I was sitting on the hood of my car enjoying the cigar when I heard a loud “whosh” come from inside the garage.

This noise is normal when someone opens the door from the hallway into the garage. Mind you this was after 2:00 in the morning and there was not supposed to be anybody (living) inside the funeral home, except for me. I was petrified. I had no place to go. My keys were in the apartment and I was stuck. I finally got up the gumption to open the door to the garage. As I opened it, I noticed that the light was off. I never turn off the light.

Even if I’m leaving for the night. The only light filtering into the garage was that from the door to the hallway on the other side of the garage. When I opened the door, that door stayed open for a moment, then shut and I heard footsteps going down the hallway. I’m kinda a big guy so you can imagine I’m about to have a heart attack here. I reach one arm in the garage and turn on the light.

At that point, I ran to the hallway door next to the apartment. I thought maybe someone had broken into the funeral home. I had the alarm off because I was walking around in the building so I had no way of telling if anyone had broken in. I ran to my apartment, shut the door, locked it, ran to the phone and dialed 911. I told the dispatch what happened and she sent 2 units over within 5 minutes. In the mean time I set the alarm so if someone was in the building they couldn’t get out without the alarm going off.

The police arrived and searched the building top to bottom and found no evidence of forced entry or anything missing. I knew then what it was. Now, every night, when I go home to the funeral home, I can walk through the hallway and feel the sinister presence of whatever is there. I just explain to it that this is not it’s home, it’s my home. And ask it to please leave my girlfriend and I alone. We don’t mean any harm to it. It pretty much leaves us alone now, but we can both feel its presence. I just wish the dead would Rest In Peace!